Tuesday, September 13, 2011

meal plan monday.. uhhh tuesday =)

Pin It

i just wanted to apologize for not having this up yesterday, we were out of town for a funeral. so i guess today will be meal plan tuesday? lol

this week i spent double of what i normally spend. it hurt me to my soul to swipe the debit card. BUT, there were some good sales and because i got certain things this week, i wont need to get  them next shopping trip so it'll actually all even out to be what i normally spend a month. so here goes, the next 2 weeks menu is:

1.    Beef ribs, mashed potatoes, sautéed cabbage
2.    Chili & cornbread
3.    Hotdogs, fries, corn
4.    Nachos & corn on the cob
5.    Nuggets, fries, mixed veggies
6.    Chicken, broccoli, & rice casserole
7.    Bbq chicken sandwiches, fries, roasted broccoli

The grocery list was:

Quality Foods
·         Ground chuck (7.59, 8.57) family packs on sale 2.89 lb*
·         Frozen corn & broccoli x3 (1.77 2lb bag)
·         Cabbage (1.37) .39 lb*
·         Beef short ribs (4.74, 6.74)
·         Chicken tenders (3.58, 4.38, 4.06) 1.99 lb*
·         Potatoes x2 (2.99 8 lb bag)
·         Sliced cheese (5.00 for 5 packs)
·         Shredded cheese (5.00 for 4 packs)
·         Green peppers x2 (.89)
·         Tortilla chips x2 (2.00)
·         Onion powder (.69)
·         Nacho cheese x2 (2.99)
·         Mexican cornbread mix x2 (.85)
Bi-Lo
·         Butter (2.99)
·         Keebler cookies (3.49 B1G1)
·         Chef Boyardee (10 for 10)
·         Frito lay snack sack (5.88) 22 packs of chips*
·         Hormel blk label bacon x2 (3.49)
·         Dixie lily grits (1.59 B1G1)
·         Ballpark beef franks & Jimmy Dean sausage (4 for 9.99)
·         Ketchup (1.99)
·         Mayo (3.55)
·         Bread x4 (.97)
·         Peanut butter (1.96)
·         Hotdog/hamburger buns x4 (.99)
·         Crushed tomatoes x2 (1.25)
·         Kidney/chili beans x4 (.59)
·         Tuna (4 for 5)
·         Sandwich meat (3 for 10)
·         Bbq sauce x4 (.99)
·         Hot sauce (.94)
·         Relish (1.50)
·         Crackers (2.99)
·         Caprisun (2.00)
·         Milk (3.59)
·         Eggs 2 ½ dozen (4.47)
·         Cooking oil (7.99)
·         Little Debbie snack cakes (4 for 9)
·         Popcorn (2.48)
·         Bread crumbs (1.25)
·         Chili seasoning (1.14 B1G1)
·         Rice (2.99 5lbs)
·         Cream of chicken x4 (3.16)
Grand Total: $200.05

Yikes! That hurt me to type that grand total! Haha but like I said before, there’s a lot of things on this list that will last us a lonnngggg time. 1 can of the chef Boyardee is 2 days of lunch for A. she takes 2 cookies in her lunchbox with a half a bag of the single serve chips. I alternate between the chef Boyardee and sandwiches. That’s plenty for her to eat and a lot of times she brings some of it home. I try not to send her too much so she won’t waste it. It’s all about convenience for her lunch to take to school, I’d prefer more fruits and veggies, but, let’s face it, she’s NOT going to eat it when she sees all of her friends eating other foods, and in fact, she told me so. They also don’t have a lot of time to eat. The cooking oil I got was HUGE so it’ll last too since we don’t fry things very often. Technically we could have spent a lot less since we bought some snack cakes but when it starts getting cooler in the evenings we start snacking more. It was a nice change up eating some “bad for you” snacks! =) something pretty funny happened as we were checking out at Bi-Lo. My husband paid and the cashier handed him $3 back. He asked me why she was giving him money; it was because we ended up getting overage! I had bought some spray and wash that was B1G1 and they both had .50 coupons on them plus I had loaded my bonus card with coupons as well. Easy breezy! It really pays to get emails from your favorite grocery stores. Without it I wouldn’t know what sales are what. I always try to base our meals off of what’s on sale and what my family really likes to eat. So even if you don’t like to eat what we do and don’t have the same stores, don’t fret, you can still do it!

Now, on to the recipes!

·         Beef ribs, mashed potatoes, sautéed cabbage
o   I like to sear my beef ribs before I simmer them but that’s optional. Put some bbq sauce in the pan and simmer them for about 20-30 minutes until tender. I use whatever seasoning I have but always salt and pepper
o   Boil potatoes and mash with butter, salt and pepper
o   Wash your cabbage, bugs live in it sometimes! Make sure you dry your cabbage REALLY well or it’ll end up soggy and that’s just gross! Dice some peppers and onions and sauté for about 8 minutes until crisp tender. Season with salt and pepper and you’re done!

·         Chili & cornbread
o   Brown 1lb of ground beef, add in diced peppers, onions, 1 1/2 cup of frozen corn, 1 large can of crushed tomatoes, chili seasoning packet, and about a tablespoon of sugar. Simmer until your heart desires. (my husband and I prefer our chili spicy so we add chopped red pepper to ours)
o   I typically make my own cornbread but we like Mexican cornbread for this meal and it’s only .85 a pack!

·          Hotdogs, corn, homemade fries
o   Hot dog chili-  brown 1 lb ground beef . add ¼ cup of ketchup, mustard, and brown sugar and 2-3 tablespoons of chili powder. The longer you simmer, the more tasty the chili!
o   For our fries I cut them thin and either fry (if we haven’t had anything fried for the week) or bake them

·         Nachos & corn on the cob
o   This is so easy it’s not even a recipes. Brown 1lb ground beef with about 1 tablespoon each of chili powder, cumin, garlic, and onion powder. Pour in about ½ cup of taco sauce and simmer until thickened. Warm up the taco bell cheese stuff in microwave. Top your chips with the meat, cheese, and salsa if you have any.
o   Steam corn for 10 minutes and serve with salt and pepper

·         Nuggets, fries, & mixed veggies
o   I’m not going to post this recipe again because I did it for our first meal plan Monday, but you can also fry them if you’d like using the same steps!

·         Chicken, broccoli & rice casserole
o   Cook around 1lb of chopped chicken until no longer pink seasoned with salt, pepper, garlic and onion powder. Mix the chicken together with 1 ½ cups of rice, 1 ½ cups frozen broccoli florets, and 1 large can of cream of chicken. Place in the oven at 350 for 1 to 1 ½ hours. I like to top ours with cheese.

·         Bbq chicken sandwiches, roasted broccoli, & fries
o   I don’t really have a “recipe” for this either. I just put around 1lb of chicken in my mini slow cooker for a few hours with random seasonings and bbq sauce. I already shared the roasted broccoli recipe and you can do either fries or a baked potato with this. After my chicken is done I pull it apart to serve.

These next few weeks you’ll see a lot of potatoes and corn, I just realized that myself, but I try to cook what I know my family likes. At first glance some might look at our menu and think it’s really unhealthy but in my opinion there’s always ways to flip your favorite “unhealthy” meals and make them healthy! And that concludes our meal plan… Tuesday, now get to cooking!

2 comments:

  1. Alright now!! Mmmm... Your list looks delightful!! I may have to try some of this!!! :)

    Great post, as always!

    Char~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, I must remember for future Meal Plan Mondays to wait till I am not hungry to eat cause other wise it is just self inflicted torture. LOL. Great Post, wonderful ideas, I appreciate the time you take to do this.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...